I'm Chrissy. Between ministering alongside Rev. Hubby and mothering my three Chickadees, life can get pretty busy. God is faithful to teach me through the everyday things. Nothing complicated. Just finding His treasures in today.









Saturday, January 22, 2011

My Toes Are Froze

Have you ever wondered why people do the things they do? Take me, for instance. For the past several days, I've worn flip-flops while out and about getting the mail, running errands, even going to church. And it's January. I imagine you might be wondering, "Chrissy, why on earth are you wearing flip-flops in the middle of winter?"
I'll get to that in just a second. Promise.
I got quite a few second glances in the Wal-Mart parking lot as I flipped over piles of snow and flopped over icy patches left over from last week's winter storm.

Hmmm...wonder if my feet will make it on People of Wal-Mart?

You see, last summer, Rev. Hubby and I took an incredible 10th wedding anniversary trip to the Grand Canyon. We hiked down to the bottom, spent the night in the bunks at Phantom Ranch, and hiked out the next day. Little did I know that with each step I took, my left big toenail was being injured. And there are a lot of steps in 17 miles of hiking! It didn't fall off overnight. It actually took a few weeks to completely detach. I knew it would take quite some time to regrow, so I didn't think much of it.
Colder weather started to set in, and I needed to trade my flip-flops and sandals for shoes more suitable for cooler temperatures. It didn't take long before I noticed the place on my left big toe where a nail used to be was becoming irritated from having to wear socks and shoes. Not much longer after that, I realized that the nail wasn't growing quite as well. I know that things like hair and nail growth can slow in the winter so I tried not to worry, but as time passed and only half of my nailbed was covered with nail, I thought it might be time to do something, and the easiest thing to do would be to stop wearing shoes.
I'm a stay-at-home-mom, so going shoeless is not really a big deal for me on a day to day basis. Some days I leave the house just a couple of times to pick up the older girls from school. But pulling on shoes for that little time was still hurting my poor toe! So I decided to go back to my flip-flops to let my toe be free. 
I think it's getting better. Obviously, I can't see the nail growing, but it feels much better, so I'm sticking with the flip-flops and I'll just endure the strange looks.
If only the strange look givers knew why I was wearing flip-flops. I'm sure they'd say, "Ohhhhh! That makes perfect sense!"
All they have to do is take a second and ask me. I'd be glad to share. 

So I got to thinking. How often do I judge others on their, at least how I see it, strange behavior when I have absolutely no idea why it is that they are acting that way? Maybe they're healing from an injury, if you will, and all I'm thinking is, "Man, they are WEIRD!" If I stopped and took a moment to ask, I'd find that they need to do some things "differently" in order to make a complete recovery. Sometimes, I need to stop my usual self-serving activity and take a moment to find out what's going on in the life of someone else. To look past what's happening on the outside. Who knows? Maybe God will allow me be a part of their healing. 

...The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.
1 Samuel 16:7
New International Version 1984
(yes, taken a bit out of context, but I think the idea as a whole is preserved)

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this!!! You are really good at this blogging thing, so glad you are doing it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, lovin' life! You, too! It's pretty fun, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete